This horse combat unit consists of cavalry, artillery and quartermaster elements. Military training at A&M included mounted drill until 1943, when the Army disbanded its horse operations. The Cavalry tradition was revived at A&M by the Class of 1974. The unit was named after then Commandant of the Corps of Cadets, Colonel Thomas R. Parsons. Military horse training is used to teach cadets self-discipline, confidence, leadership, and decision-making. Learning to manage an animal much larger than themselves with a mind of its own in challenging conditions develops many of the skills necessary for modern business and military leaders. There are 90 cadets and 50 horses in this unit.